Fire Accident in Chennai

Fire Accident in Chennai

In a freak accident on Saturday night, a 38-year-old woman allegedly suffered an electric shock As she was walking down a Choolaimedu street, which has an underground electric cable, and in Moments was engulfed in flames.It is unclear what caused the fire although there was an electric Junction box nearby. On Sunday morning, J Leema Rose, succumbed to injuries at Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital to which she had been admitted with 79 per cent burns.

Tangedco officials said they had sought CCTV footage as they had never heard of electricity leaking’ from an underground cable and could find the cause of the mishap only after a thorough Investigation. Residents said electric boxes in the locality often let off sparks, with complaints to The electricity department going in vain.Leema, a native of Tirunelveli district, resided on New West Street at Choolaimedu. She worked as housekeeping staff at a private college in Arumbakkam. She was speaking on the phone as she walked past the electric box. Suddenly, She froze as though she had suffered an electric shock and within moments we heard a loud Noise, saw sparks and she was engulfed in flames. People from the grocery store rushed and covered her with a blanket to put out the fire, said P Aruna, who saw the tragedy unfold as she was feeding her child.

Residents, shocked by the fire, ran in different directions and some, who were nearby, fell on the road sustaining minor injuries.Neighbours said Leema was half-burnt but managed to walk a Short distance and sit in front of the grocery shop.

She told us to contact her son and sisters in her home town. Meanwhile, an ambulance came And, with the help of attenders, she climbed into the vehicle herself, said Banumathy, who lives Next door.Leema was taken to the Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital where she was admitted At the ICU and succumbed on Sunday morning.